Reporting and musing on events and culture in DR Congo since 2004

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tshala Muana



Tshala Muana is one of my favorite Congolese singer/musicians. I can't quote the titles of any of her songs, or sing any lyrics, but I know her voice when I hear it. My housemates used to have a tape that got stuck in one of the cars, so each time we had that car for the week, I listened to Tshala Muana on a loop for seven days.

Interestingly enough, she is more than a musician.

She is also a nominated Member of Parliament in DR Congo.

I am not sure what this means, but according to the article she has been recognized for advancing the cause of women in Africa, and she is working in a campaign to unite artists prior to elections. I also do not know what the latter means.

If anyone knows more about Tshala's non-musical role, I invite you to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home